Sunday 20 March 2011

Grocery Shopping!

Today I did some much needed grocery shopping and I think this will do us for the next 2 weeks or so. I bought lots of veggies, some ground meat, and lots of new Indian-inspired spices :) (Curry, Tumeric and Cumin). We get our chicken breasts for $2.49/lb usually from Robert's Boxed Meats here in Kitchener.
When Chris and I first moved in together I found it very hard to eat properly. Chris is against eating whole grains and loves his meat and pasta! So when I would make dinner, I'd end up either spending extra time to cook myself a separate meal or I'd just end up eating whatever I had just made-- pasta, Lipton Sidekicks pasta or rice, etc. On the weekend, after pay day, Chris likes to order in pizza, wings or Chinese food.
I have finally found a system that works for the both of us, because it only requires me to cook one "extra" dish:
For dinner, I eat a protein the size of a deck of cards, 1/2 cup of a rice-based starch and loads of veggies.
I usually start by making us meat-- either chicken breast, meatballs, lean beef, etc.
Then I make him a starch-- either the white pasta he (and I) adore, white rice, or a Sidekick pasta or rice
Then I made us veggies-- either frozen asian style vegetables, a salad, peppers and mushrooms, etc.
Then I make myself my starch-- brown rice or brown rice pasta
Then hopefully we have leftovers to do us over for lunch. I usually do. Chris eats a lot more than I do (he's 6'5", 270lbs) so sometimes I have to make him Kraft dinner or a Sidekick for lunch the next day.
On the days when Chris decides to order in or grab fast food, I get to have my salmon :) I buy an 8-pack of frozen salmon portions for $10 and use them for my back up ;)

Tonight's dinner: I am making a pot of chili for dinner made with 1lb of lean ground beef and 1lb of ground chicken. Then I will add tomato paste, some frozen mixed veggies, canned mushrooms, chili flakes and cayenne pepper. I will eat my "deck of cards" of chili, some brown rice and a salad. Then I will set a "deck of cards" of chili to eat for lunch tomorrow and Chris can eat the rest of the chili today and tomorrow. It's alllll about planning :)

Here is a photo of our fridge after grocery shopping.
Look at all those veggies! Tomatoes and broccoli were on sale, yay! I also bought baby bok choy for the first time.

7 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like you got a lot of great stuff at the store!!
    After starting our new diet, I actually look forward to grocery shopping now just to find something new we can have lol.
    Anywho... keep it up!!! Your ticker is almost at that half way point! WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! Slow and steady wins the race! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so awesome girl. i wish i could take you grocery shopping with me. you can be the angel on one of my shoulders and i can be my own devil on the other shoulder! but seriously. you are doing so so so well. you should be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cat! Trust me, it took me yearsssss to skip the pop and chips aisle, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in Kitchener? as In Kitchener in Ontario Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live right across the Blue Water Bridge from you in Port Huron.

    ReplyDelete